🔪 Heads Up 🔪

Welcome to the Freakshow!

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Movie Review : Careful What You Wish For (2015)


Careful What You Wish For Surpasses Expectations



Director : Elizabeth Allen
Starring : Nick Jonas, Isabel Lucas, Graham Rogers, and Dermot Mulron.
Studio : Troika Pictures, Merced Media Partners, Amasia Entertainment
Distributed by : Hyde Park Entertainment (US)
Sony Pictures (International)
Axinite Digicinema, Inc. (Philippines)
Release Dates : March 5, 2015 (US)
May 6, 2015 (Philippines)



Plot : Young Doug Martin gets more than he bargained for after entering into an affair with the wife of an investment banker. Soon, a suspicious death and substantial life insurance policy embroil him in a scandal.








Boy Meets Smoking Hot Neighbor Next Door
Doug Martin (played by Nick Jonas) spends his summer back in his parent’s home. During the course of the summer, a rich couple purchases the house next to their home. He soon met the husband, Ellliott Harper (Delmot Mulroney) and his smoking hot  wife Lena (Isabel Lucas). The husband turned out to be abusive to his wife, but Elliott never attempted to get in between them. He became Elliott’s helper as they renovate the man’s sailboat. One stormy night, while his husband is away, Lena asks Doug for assistance as she accidentally locked herself out of their house. They end up having a one night stand which started their secret affair.
But one night, after  a fight, Lena accidentally kills her husband. She asks for Doug’s help in covering up the murder and this leads to a series of scandal that endangers both of their lives.
Well, honestly, based on the short plot description above, I didn’t really expected anything new with the story of this film. It’s basically like another erotic thriller film released earlier this year, starring Jennifer Lopez and Ryan Guzman. Yet this film isn’t as simple as it seems to be. Though there were a lot of twists in the film that I was able to spot early on, I was still surprised at how everything turned out in the end.


Perfect Leads
I honestly never thought that I would see Nick Jonas in this type of movie. I mean, I’ve seen him before in those teeny-bopper Disney films when he was young. Back then,,I  never thought he would end up in a role like this. This was quite a risky role he took, I must say. But he was the perfect fit for the role. He looked exactly like a high school teen with a pretty boy image.
Isabel Lucas was also perfect for the role as the smoking hot wife Lena who is secretly having an affair with Doug. Some critics says the producers should have looked for a much older “cougar-type” actress. But for me, she was perfect. With her, the whole movie turned out like a teenage boy’s fantasy. She is sexy and beautiful, and acts really good.
Delmot Mulroney was also a good choice for the role of the abusive husband, Elliott. He really looks threatening in is scenes. He is menacing every time Doug is opposing a word that he says.


High Octane Thrills
I never really expected this movie to be this good since I’m not really hearing a lot about it. But then, after watching the film itself, I was really surprised at ho good this film turned out. It is way better than the previously mentioned erotic thriller The Boy Next Door (2015). Although the first part of the film was a bit campy in tone, everything stars to get exciting as the film progresses. It is full of suspense and dread. You really feel the rush all throughout the film.
One scene in particular that I really cannot forget from this film was the grocery scene. In this scene, Doug saw Elliott outside a grocery store waiting. He enters the store where he finds Lena. He follows her to the back of the store where Lena tells him that she just can’t wait long enough and that she’s dying to see him. Then, they proceeded on having sex. They froze in fear as they hear Elliott calling out for her inside the store.
I was literally kicking the empty seat in front of me inside the cinema during that scene. My heart was totally racing at that point. Honestly, I’ve never felt that kind of rush for a while now. That scene alone is a must see.
I am would also liked to give praise to the film’s final act. Here the tension are really pumped up as the investigation of Elliot’s death gets to a conclusion. It was a really good way to end the whole film.



Verdict:
As I mentioned earlier, I was not really expecting much from this film. But then, I ended up being blown away by this movie after watching it. I’ve waited for months to see this film and that long wait was really worth it.
It is a very solid erotic thriller. It gives you what you are expecting and so much more. Full of suspense and action all through out. Definitely one of my favorite films this year.



I am giving this film 5 out of 5 star rating.




Careful What You Wish For - Trailer (E...
by moviepilottrailer

No comments:

Post a Comment