🔪 Heads Up 🔪

Welcome to the Freakshow!

Saturday, October 3, 2015

The Green Inferno (2015) : Movie Review

The Green Inferno is bloody fun


Director: Eli Roth
Starring: Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Daryl Sabara, Kirby Bliss Blanton, Sky Ferreira, Magda Apanowicz, Nicolás Martinez, Aaron Burns, Ignacia Allamand, Ramón Llao, Richard Burgi
Studios: Dragonfly Entertainment, Sobras International Pictures, Worldview Entertainment
Distributed by: Universal Pictures, Blumhouse Tilt, High Top Releasing
Released date:
Plot: A group of activists are trapped in the Amazon rainforest and gets captured by a cannibalistic tribe.











I dont like watching cannibalistic movies ever... well, except for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003 & 2013 remake). So when this film was announced a few years back, I never really paid too much attention ot it. But after hearing about it again last year, I've became interested on how this film would turn out. And so when news that it will finally have the theatrical release that it has been longing for, I kinda looked forward to it. And I must say that it was all worth it.


Problems with Censorship
I guess this is the only problem that I have with the film. When it was released in the Philippines, it was heavily trimmed down to achieve an R-13 rating (for viewers 13 years old and above only) instead of just going with it's original cut. This is probably the reason why the version that I've watched isn't as gory as it's U.S theatrical release.
I felt like I've missed a lot in the movie because of this. I just hate it.


Bloody Good Time
Luckily, despite the film being cut down with chunks of gore from it, the film still turned out really interesting to watch. There were still a lot of gory and violent scenes left intact that will make you squirm. One of the most unforgettable scene was when a female tribe elder gouges Jonah's (played by Aaron Burns) eyes and eats it. Then, she cut off his tongue and also eats it. This is followed by the the rest of the tribe dismembering him alive as Justine and the others watch, before they finally behead him. 

Wondering what she's eatingt in that pic? It's an eye. 
A Bit Hard To Watch, Yet You Cant Turn Away
With all the gory and violent moments in the film, one might find themselves repelled by this movie. For me, I felt a bit squimish while watching it. But it doesn't want to let go of your attention. The movie itself would not let you go and keep you hooked into what's happening. And I kinda enjoy that feeling. It's not like you get to see  a film like this everyday of your life.


Final Verdict:

A fun thowback to the exploitation films of a bygone era, Eli Roth's new splatter flick is a total fun ride. Really worth the wait.

I am rating it 3.5 out of 5 stars.



         

No comments:

Post a Comment