🔪 Heads Up 🔪

Welcome to the Freakshow!

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Batman V Superman : Dawn Of Justice (2016) Movie Review

Batman V Superman is the only superhero showdown we need


Director: Zack Snyder
Starring: Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Amy Adams, Jessie Eisenberg
Studios: DC Comics , Warner Bros., Syncopy

The Gladiator match of the century. God versus man. Day versus night. Son of Krypton versus Bat of Gotham, says Jessy Eisenberg in his portrayal of Alexander Luthor in the second film of the DC Extended Universe, which features Batman versus Superman being pitted against each other. DC's answer to Marvel's upcoming Civil War film. So is this really the showdown of the century? Was it the introduction to the DC Extended Universe that we deserve? Here's my take on on of the most talked about superhero movie of 2016 in another review from Certified Ace!

First of all, I am a big fan of DC superheroes. We'll, mostly the ones on television. I'm a die hard fan of Smallville. I'm a follower of Arrow and The Flash. I've watched some episodes of Gotham. I love Constantine. A lot. But when it comes to the ones in movies, I'm not really sure. I kinda liked Zack Snyder's dark take on the Superman mythos in 2013's Man Of Steel. I enjoyed it the first time I saw it in theatres. I guess. So when I've heard of plans of a sequel, with Batman being pitted to Superman, I wondered... would this all work? Then came all the confirmation of the film, with Zack Snyder directing. We've got some casting issues here and there with Ben Affleck, Jessy Eisenberg and Gal Gadot. But after a long wait, I guess I was proven all wrong about the film. It really worked.

I must say that to fully enjoy this movie, you've got to see Man Of Steel first. Preferably right before you watch the film itself in cinemas. What I did was I watched MOS on my way to the mall. I continued watching it while I was waiting for our screening time. I continued to watch it while I was already inside the cinema, so I was able to get a clear picture of the film's connection to MOS.
The first few minutes of the film itself was a great way to start the film. It reminded me of the opening scene for another Zack Snyder flick, Suckerpunch (2011). The film's opening montage featuring the death of Bruce Wayne's parents when he was young was masterfully orchestrated. So even though this story has been done over and over again, I think it was still fun to watch. Then comes the continuation of the epic final scene of Man Of Steel, featuring General Zod wrecking havoc along the city. This makes the film's motivations clearer. it gives sort of a reason for Batman to really hate Superman. It justifies the film itself. The title. Batman versus Superman.


The writing was good, as characters usually throw a lot of memorable lines along the way ("Do you bleed?") Although I think there was a small problem with it's pacing as there were moments that made the film slow. But the rest of the movie was totally fine. Praises also to the technical aspects of the film, particularly the visual and special effects. The film's big budget really shows with the movie's special effects. I also love the costumes of our three superheroes. From Superman and Batman's suit to Wonder Woman's piece.

Speaking of Wonder Woman, I know that she's been the talk of everyone who've seen the film. Because she is definitely the star of this movie. From her armor to her weapons (Lasso of Truth, anyone?) they've got everything right. Gal Gadot is so perfect for the role. She really looked gorgeous and beautiful. she manages to steal the whole scene whenever she's in it. all I can say is that she's a perfect good reason to see this film alone.

The rest of the cast were also good. Henry Cavill is still charming and cool as the man of Steel. Ben Affleck, on the other hand, really looks threatening whenever he's doning the Dark Knight suit. His portrayal was quite good and I think he got Bruce Wayne right.


One thing that really got me a bit polarized was Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. Well, he's not really Lex but Lex' son. His full name is Alexander "Lex" Luthor, Jr and therefore, not the Lex that we were accustomed to. And although I would have preferred the original Lex Luthor that I know of, I think he did a pretty good job. His version of Lex is more of a xenophobe. Just like what he said in one of his interviews recently, “He is the most powerful man, both nominally and financially, in Metropolis. Then comes this interloper, this alien from this other planet, and Lex feels like he’s a threat to his race.”

Now, regarding those cameos, I'm not really sure about them. I feel like some were a bit out of place and awkward, particularly the scene where Bruce Wayne saw The Flash (Ezra Miller) in a dream. I don't think that was the best way he could get a cameo. But I must say that Aquaman's (Jason Momoa) cameo was pretty amazing.

Final Verdict: Honestly, for me, I actually loved Batman V Superman than the Avengers sequel, Age Of Ultron. I think it's more action packed and more exciting. It's more of a love letter to fans of DC Comics. It tries to give out so much that it kinda feels a bit short yet longer than most superhero movies. But for me, I think this film was a good way to start and expand the DC Extended Universe.

Rating: 

      

No comments:

Post a Comment